Thursday, August 23, 2007

People & Earth - Don't Tread on Me

What do you think people care about?

I went home for lunch today, and I picked up this great book I'm reading called The Story of B, which is the sequel, kind of, to Ishmael (both by this Daniel Quinn guy). This book is really good, and he's off and running on his "totalitarian agriculture" thing and how our culture doesn't have to devastate the environment and kill other species to live.

Great. A new perspective. It's not politics. It's not global warming. He pushes open-minded readers to question historicity. Great.

Are other people out there thinking about the fate of the planet?

They're buying hybrids, sure, but they're also buying hummers.

As I walked back up the stairs to my office, deep in thought about the implications of what changing our culture would mean (no industry, no city centers, no optometrists, no birth control, no currency, and all the myriad inconveniences and havoc and disarray this would cause, not to mention I wouldn't survive because I need my glasses), I halted abruptly.

Is anyone else thinking about the world in this way?

They must be. Daniel Quinn is out there. Idealistic college students are out there. But are there humane folks concerned with the larger well being of the people on the planet?

I know this is a bit of an immature perspective, lumping "everyone" and "the world" together, but we're in it together, aren't we?

[I think we should have a big picture of the earth on the poster, and then have it say "don't tread on me." "how do you not tread on the earth? i mean, you kind of have to, right?" ~ Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the movie]

1 comment:

howws said...

There are many of us thinking this way. Check out The Challenges of Accepting Civilization as Unsustainable and Unhealthy. You might find it interesting and also there are some links in there to resources where you can find others thinking like you.